Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Addendum to last week's Pizza Party

Friedrich Hayek came to me in a dream last night and reminded me that I neglected to review a frozen pizza available here in the omaha area in my review last week!

Holy wine-in-a-box I can't believe I forgot about Tofutti's very own frozen pizza "Pan Crust Pizza Pizzaz" square pizza-shaped product! I seriously can't belive I forgot this little guy, and Tofutti I'm sorry for fogetting you (and i'm even more sorry for the review I'm about to give it).

Remember pizza from elementary school? Yeah I do too. Well imagine that, but instead of cheese you have this white, soupy, potion-stuff on top of the pizza that is solid at room temperature but when you heat it up it combines nicely with the underlying tomato sauce to make this tangy, orangish spread/topping on top of a pretty good tasting crust.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh. It's getting late so instead of trying to mask some compliments in poor attempts at humor, i'll just bullet point some pros:
  • It's pretty good comfort food when you're studying late at night
  • the crust is actually pretty good tasting, and goes well with the sauce
Buuuuut I have to include some cons too just to be balanced:
  • Tofutti is the 2nd worst product name next to Tofurkey. Sorry vegan companies, you really need to come up with better names.
  • No toppings
  • contains partially hydrogenated fats
  • vegan cheese topping is more soup than anything
  • ashamed to eat in public
  • not sure if i should really consider it "pizza"
  • box packaging looks like a Geocities website without the animated gif of a skull on fire morphing into a pot leaf. next to the ingredients they have "Best Viewed in Netscape 3.0" on the box.
Don't get me wrong I'll still get this thing because I love to eat anything vegan (except natto. /shudder), and sometimes i like not cooking, and it's fun to add your own toppings to (asparagus, mushrooms, chickpeas... mmmm).... But in all seriousness this pizza is a mere shadow of what an actual pizza should be. If you want to see what all the hype is about, or you're like me and will just.plain.eat.anything.vegan then you can pick this up in the health-market section of most HyVees in town (except for the one on 90th and center because that one sucks).

ps: hey tofutti me and my boy J-Biebs improved on your box design. you can pay me via paypal.
vegan pizza
Add Glitter to your Photos

pps: hey tofutti i still love your fake ice creams/sandwiches and cream cheese-like spread!

Next Week: Omaha's pizza joints that serve vegan cheese pizza!

5 comments:

  1. I will buy anything with a picture of Justin Bieber on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you say that because there are frozen Tofurky pizzas w/ Daiya coming out soon.

    I'll give the Tofutti pizzas a chance! And you are so right about the 90th and Center HyVee. I don't even think they carry soy yogurt?!? WTF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dave,

    These pizzas are not bad for their size. Natto is fucking good. Your ass looks like it deflating in your Blog picture. Justin Bieber looks like a cute girl who dresses like a boy, am I gay?

    thanks,
    friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm... school pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally had one, it wasn't half bad!

    ReplyDelete