Sunday, May 2, 2010

Clean Plate, er Daily Grub, er whatever it is now..


Let's just call it "that really tasty vegan place by Cog with the Raptors on the building". At first we were a bit iffy about the location, but renting a building with two raptors chasing each other was probably too hard to pass up for the owner.

But honestly let's not get bogged down how awesome dinosaurs and evolution are, let's try to focus on the actual restaurant itself.

As far as I can tell Daily Grub is a place invented by some really talented chef lady who wanted to serve really good vegan/vegetarian food and support locally-obtained food. Also she likes dinosaurs.

Me and the wife, who is a waffle junkie, went to this place for brunch last week, and again this week. I won't tell you much about the first time we went other than their waffle iron broke right as we were about to get some waffles, so i got a tofu scramble and we took off not as satisfied as we felt we should have been. I really should have tried something other than the tofu scramble, not because it wasn't good (because it was), but because this chef lady is an actual full-on chef and getting the tofu scramble was kind of having an Emeril in your kitchen but all you ask him to make you is a pbj.

Okay so we come back again for a second time after hearing they got a new waffle iron (hooray!). We walk in and instantly the guy remembers us as the sad couple who weren't able to get their delicious waffles, so he apologizes again and offers us a free full order of waffles to make up for our terrible luck the previous week. Megan (the wife) gets the waffles and I get English Dave's Thai Curry.

Holy shit everything was so damn tasty. Here's a rundown critiquing the different components that made up our vegan brunch:

Waffles - Sprinkled in powdered sugar and REAL MAPLE SYRUP (we're syrup snobs and we're so glad real syrup was used instead of that imitation garbage). Cut-up strawberries on the side. So good! they managed to stay thick and crispy despite being drenched in syrup. Megan loved them. I had one or two bites but let megan take care of the majority of the eating of her waffles.

Thai Curry - Thai Curry for breakfast, shut up I'm an adult I can do what I want. Last week i had popcorn and dr pepper for dinner (I ate it like cereal). Anyway this dish was amazingly tasty. Some cabbage stuff piled on top of sweet coconut curry with onions, tiny potatoes, all on top of aromatic jasmine rice. This was seriously super tasty I can't talk about it enough, and if it's any indication of how the rest of the cooking at this place is I know for sure i'm going to be coming back often. The only problem i had with the dish was that it was starch-heavy, but that's not really their fault it was my fault for ordering it. Also that didn't stop me from eating the entire dish (lime and lime peel included. okay maybe not)

The Elvis Smoothie - Cocoa, banana, peanut butter, oats, and soymilk. FFFFFFFF so good! I'm biased, however, towards anything with peanut butter. One time i made peanut-butter sushi even (wasn't as good as it sounds). This was like drinking cupcake batter.

I'm glad we came back and gave this place another shot. The first time we went it was their first week and they shouldn't really be held accountable for growing pains. We came this second time, ate a ton of great food, saw some good friends, met a new friend (John who does a vegan junkfood blog www.laziestvegans.com), saw a dude from the faint (you can't spit in this town without hitting someone in the faint), and went home and napped in post-meal bliss.


Next week: I get negative again and shit talk some restaurants that fail at vegan food, and shit talk the new limp bizkit song (without even listening to it).

6 comments:

  1. raptors and veggie food! i am so there this week with mr. binder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must mean that you really DON'T like my "Holiday Syrup" as much as you pretended to. http://www.stonewallkitchen.com/prdsell.aspx?L0=Seasonal&L1=Holiday&L2=Holiday+Foods&L3=HolidaySyrup

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should have a dude from the Faint blinging out like Justin Bieber on the Tofutti box. I like how the only people who comment on John's blog are you guys and my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are really nice and sweet! See ya soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited about the soy shake! I will definitely check it out. I'm lactose intolerant and probably haven't had a shake in over 10 years - I always wish places would make them with soy milk! (sidenote - we usually get Silk Plain Light but tried the Omega-3 stuff - it's good!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG--so glad to know about your awesome blog! Now we can really stalk you guys... mwah ha hahaha!

    Oh wait. You probably just hacked into my computer as I was writing this.

    Anyway, I loved Daily Grub and can't wait to go back! And the Elvis shake was so delicious that Sean actually cried when I took away his (empty) glass.

    Good move on the waffles too--never get between a pregnant lady and her breakfast treat.

    ReplyDelete